The Usefulness of Non-Woven Fabrics Today and Its Future
Nearly every place you sit or stand has a nonwoven fabric. It could be a coffee filter, a tea bag, a mask, diapers, tissues for contact lenses, or other such items. This fabric now has more significance because of the current circumstances and the times we went through because of Covid, yet its market has expanded through time.
What is Non-Woven?
The most traditional and basic types of textiles are non-wovens. They are not woven or knitted. These fabrics are web structures or sheets that are joined together chemically, mechanically, or thermally, by tangling filaments or fiber. These are porous, tufted, or flat sheets made of various plastic films, fibers, or molten plastic. These textiles do not have to be made into yarn because they are not woven or knitted.
For the creation of non-woven fabrics, some oil-based products and recycled fabrics are utilized. Under the right conditions and with the right handling, certain nonwoven textiles can also be recycled. Because of this, nonwoven materials are seen as more environmentally friendly in various applications, particularly in businesses like high-end hotels, schools, nursing homes, and hospitals.
Why Use Non-Woven Fabrics?
Non-woven materials are necessary, flexible, degradable, adaptive, and inventive. As a result, their manufacturing process is quick and simple. 5,00,000 meters of woven fabric must be manufactured in 6 months, however, the non-woven fabric can be made in the same quantity in only 2 months. Non-woven fabrics feature a few unique characteristics and a low production cost.
How Non-Woven Fabrics are Used
Numerous sectors, including defense, medical, geotextile, construction, automotive, fashion, and filtration use non-woven materials. These days, non-woven fabric is widely used, and it appears that life would be impossible without it. There are two sorts of this fabric: disposable and durable. 40% of the fabric is recyclable, while 60% is long-lasting. The non-woven fabric’s distinguishing features are:
- Flame retardancy
- Acoustic insulation
- Thermal insulation
- Liquid repellence
The industries where non-woven fabrics are used are –
- Household: Filters, ie. water, coffee, air, tea bags, vacuum bags; food prep wipes, surface cleaning, household wipes.
- Medical: Isolation gowns, surgical scrub suits, caps, surgical gowns, surgical drapes and covers, surgical masks, medical packaging: porosity allows gas sterilization, drug delivery, plasters, medical face masks, gloves, shoe covers, bath wipes, wound dressings, disposable clothing (foot coverings, coveralls), cleanroom wipes, filters used in the pharmaceutical industry.
- Apparel: Industrial workwear, chemical defense suits, Interlinings, insulation and protection clothing, shoe components, backing/stabilizer for machine embroidery.
- Construction and Geotextiles: Soil stabilizers and roadway underlayment, erosion control, canal construction, drainage systems, geo-membrane protection, sand infiltration barrier for drainage tile, landfill liners, insulation (fiberglass batting), weather-resistant house wrap, potting materials for plants.
- Health and Hygiene: Diapers, feminine hygiene, adult incontinence, wipes (personal care, fingernail), cosmetic facial pads, and consumer face masks.
- Acoustics: Acoustic insulation for appliances, automotive components, and wall-paneling, sound attenuation
- Transportation: Gasoline, tarps, oil and air filtration, and transportation wrapping.
- Industrial: Industrial wipes, composites (marine sail laminates, table cover laminates, chopped strand mat), Carpet backing, primary and secondary, flooring, backing/stabilizer for machine embroidery, packaging where porosity is needed.
- Furnishing: Pillows, cushions, mattress cores, upholstery padding, batting for quilts in comforters.
- Packaging: Meat packaging (absorbent pads), mailing envelopes, and shopping bags, shipping supplies.
The advantages listed above show why the nonwoven fabric market is expected to grow significantly in the future. Many Industries have made the switch and you should, too.